Dear First Reconciliation/First Communion families,
WELCOME TO 2021
Happy New Year!! Despite the challenges of the pandemic and all the changes we have had to make, our loving God is always with us!! We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we move forward with sacramental preparation differently this year due to the pandemic but also the fact that St. John the Divine and St. George parishes are forming one “family of parishes”
FORMING A “FAMILY OF PARISHES” – JULY 2021
At the beginning of January 2021, Bishop Fabbro officially announced that St. John the Divine and St. George will form a “family of parishes” working together with one pastor and pastoral team but still individual parishes. Fr. Michael Bechard, currently priest-chaplain to King’s University College and pastor of Christ the King Parish, London, will be the new pastor of our family along with Fr. Pedro Zuniga. This change does not take effect until July 5, 2021. This means that the two parishes will work together offering ministries and programs for all the faithful and supporting the five schools that are connected with the two parishes.
NEW FIRST RECONCILIATION/FIRST COMMUNION PREPARATION
In light of the pandemic and the activation of our family, we will be approaching sacramental preparation differently this year.
- The preparation will be done together, offering one preparation program for families from St. John the Divine and St. George with two rounds of preparation offering flexibility for families over the next several months
- First Reconciliation
- Round #1 – The week of February 9, 15, 22, 2021
- Round #2 – The week of April 5, 12, 19, 2021
- First Communion
- Round #1 – The week of March 8, 15, 22, 2021
- Round #2 – The week of May 3, 10, 17, 2021
- Preparation will be all online comprised of 3 sessions for each sacrament (3 First Reconciliation sessions & 3 First Communion sessions) via our family of parishes transition website ca (done on your own each week – each session will include a video teaching, a scripture story and other links to review as a family) which will include an online discussion session each week (two optional times for you to choose each week—you can join whichever one works best for you each week)
- Thursday nights – 6:45 to 7:30 pm
- Saturday mornings – 10:00 to 10:45 am
- The celebration of the sacraments will take place in each parish based on schedules which will be provided—you will then sign up for particular dates and times. This will be dependant on pandemic restrictions from the province and the Diocese of London.
- A PARENT INFORMATION MEETING has been scheduled for Thursday January 28, 2021 at 7:00 PM or Saturday January 30, 2021 at 10:00 AM. You only need to attend one meeting. These meetings will be via MS TEAMS and a link will be sent to you prior to the meeting.
- First Reconciliation
We will do our best to build community, offer important sacramental preparation and answer any questions that you may have. We want to thank you for your patience and understanding during these very difficult times and know that we are praying for all of you and look forward to journeying through these two very important sacraments.
Nives Davies, Pastoral Minister – St. John the Divine
Bridget Corneil, Parish Catechist – St. John the Divine
Fr. John Jasica, Pastor – St. George